Nothing shouts aging more than a sagging neck skin. If you are like most people, tighten that sagging neck skin and preventing its recurrence is a fancy idea that you would embrace with open hands. This article will walk you through the different approaches that you can use to tighten neck skin including neck firming creams and exercises.
Loose Neck Skin – What are the underlying causes?
Loose neck skin is usually attributed to numerous factors chief among them being the decreased ability of the skin to produce collagen and elastin.
Collagen and elastin are important for optimum skin elasticity and firmness. Unfortunately, as we age the body becomes less effective in producing the two. It is for this reason that ageing is typically accompanied by sagging neck skin. Gravity doesn’t make the situation any better as gravitational pull will inevitably deal on the already loosened skin and make it to sag.
Lower levels of hyaluronic acid as someone age is also to blame for loosening of the skin around the neck. Hyaluronic acid is important for keeping the skin cells in the upper epidermis together and when its levels in the skin plummet, the result is a loose neck skin.
The natural “wear” of the muscles as an individual age is also attributed to loosening of the skin. As the muscles lose their tone, they become less effective at keeping the skin firm.
Spending a little too long in the sun, smoking and abrupt weight loss can also cause loose skin in the neck area.
Poor diet can also play a role in having a loose neck skin. This is especially so if your diet lacks proteins and vitamin C.
How to Tighten Neck Skin
You are right now perhaps wondering how to tighten loose neck skin. Well, there are numerous ways to go about it.
Proper diet: The first step towards tightening that sagging neck area is to observe proper nutrition. Having a diet rich in vitamin C and proteins should be a priority as having inadequate quantities of these
Avoid abrupt weight loss: this is more of a prevention strategy than a reversal tactic. We have already mentioned that weight loss is a common culprit for sagging skin around your neck and chin area. This is because this doesn’t allow your skin time to adjust accordingly and as a result, the skin around your neck might end up being saggy. It is thus advisable to lose weight gradually.
Quit smoking: Smoking can exacerbate the rate of sagging of the neck skin and should be your first step towards getting that supple smooth skin back. Of course it is not the easiest of options but it is a target worth pursuing.
Exercise the neck muscles: as we age the neck muscles usually tend to lose their tone and become less effective in holding the skin firmly. Exercising the muscles to reaffirm them is the best way to tighten loose neck skin if you will agree with me. For specific exercises, see a subsequent section of this article.
Extra ways to ensure tight skin around the neck:
- Apply a sunscreen when heading out into the sun or for a swim.
- Plastic surgery is yet another option for reaffirming the neck skin. Plastic surgery is increasingly accepted but it involves some risks and is also not the most pocket-friendly option.
- Use neck firming creams. We have discussed more about them in the next section.
Neck Tightening Creams
Having a loose skin that appears saggy is not something that most people relish in. While you can go down the plastic surgery route, this option is usually expensive for most people and also comes with some risks. An alternative option for plastic surgery is to use a neck tightening creams and with so many on the market today, you will never run out of options.
Although neck firming creams come with different formulation, they mostly work by stimulating the production of collagen, elastin, and/or hyaluronic acid in the body or by supplying the skin with these important substances in addition to other helpful ingredients such as moisturizers.
Clarins Extra Firming Neck Anti-Wrinkle Rejuvenating Cream is the best neck tightening cream if online reviews and ratings from its real users is anything to go by. Its Extra-Firming Complex works in combination with sunflower Auxins to give your neck skin a firm and elastic feel.
An exploration around neck tightening cream reviews is also very likely to bring Reventin Neck Firming Cream to your attention. This cream also ranks among the best neck firming cream. The Essenskin in Reventin Neck Firming Cream has been shown to reduce skin sagging by 67% and increase dermal density by 65%.
Exercises to Tighten Neck Skin
Below are numerous exercises that can help you in your bid to get that tight neck skin again:
- Push your head against the palm of your hand while seated comfortably in a chair for 10 seconds or so. You will know if you are doing this right if you can feel the muscles around your neck working. Repeat the process again but this time with the palm of your hand behind your head rather than in the front.
- Seated in a straight position, raise your head towards the ceiling or sky the furthest it can get. Now open and close your mouth 20 times as though you are chewing something.
- Lie flat on the bed with your head positioned on the edge such that it can move up and down. Now raise your head slowly all the way up and then take it down again to its previous position. Repeat this 5 to 10 times but should you feel any pain, stop the exercise.
How to Tighten Neck Skin without Surgery
If surgery is simply not your thing and would rather stay out of it unless it is for medical reasons, or it is simply too expensive an option for you, then your best bet would be neck exercises (discussed above) and/or neck firming creams.
Tighten Neck Skin Naturally
How can I get my smooth, supple neck skin naturally? This is another concern of a significant number of our readers. The only absolute all-natural way to tighten the skin around your neck naturally is to perform the above neck exercises. Proper diet is also advisable and if you smoke, then it may be time to give yourself a favor by quitting.
Further Suggested on Skin Tightening and Firming
- Best Creams for Tightening Skin – For Stomach, Face, Body and Men
- Best Neck Firming Cream that Work & Causes Sagging Neck Skin
- Best Skin Firming Lotion Including Nivea, Jergens, and Body Lotions
- Natural and Laser Tightening of Skin– Costs, Meaning, Exilis and RF
- Skin Tightening Treatments & Procedures like Radio Frequency & Titan
- How to Tighten Skin after Weight Loss – Ways, Ideas and Tips
- How to Tighten Skin that Is Loose – Foods, RF and After Weight Loss