I am looking for scar treatment products prescription or OTC? Can your recommend the best scar treatment? Do home scar treatments work as well and how can I reduce scarring on my acne prone skin?
The largest organ in the body is the skin. Unfortunately, it is also plagued with numerous problems. So many foreign growths or marks will appear on your skin before you turn 50 years of age. Sometimes it may be skin tags, freckles, chicken pox, the dreaded acne or scars from injury or trauma. When it comes to scars, almost everyone falls in this category. The causes of scars are various from a misplaced knife in the kitchen to pimples from acne or chicken pox, burns and even cosmetic surgery.
In general scars are almost an avoidable. How can you reducing scarring when you have a wound? If you do get scarred what treatment options do you have and do they really work? This article will provide information on scar treatment products you can use to get rid of most type of scars. The best scar treatment products available for shoppers and patients who consult dermatologists.
Scar Reduction Treatment –Tips to Reduce Scarring
- Scar Reduction Treatment –Tips to Reduce Scarring
- Scar Treatment Products – Best Scar Treatment Products with Silicone Gel
- Home Scar Treatment, Homemade Scar Treatment or Scar Treatment at Home
- The Last Resort-Prescription Scar Treatment
- Over the Counter Scar Treatment –Trusted OTC Scar Treatment Brands
Before you get to know what those products are, here are tips to reduce scarring so that in the future you do not have to look for scar reduction treatment. These tips will not prevent your skin from trauma or injury, but they will help you manage the wound better.
- Avoid swabbing any wound with hydrogen peroxide because it destroys any new forming tissue, instead make use of antibiotic such as Neosporin
- Always cover your cut to keep the wound moist after the application of an antibiotic or simply Vaseline and to prevent the development of a scab
- Do not use vitamin E to treat a fresh bruise, cut or zit, it may cause an allergic reaction
- Apply pressure on the wound or zit with silicone sheeting
- Never expose fresh or old scars to the sun, the will only become worse
- Once the bruise or zit has healed massage it with a natural oil, with antimicrobial properties
- A raised, itchy, red and sore scar could be a sign of a major infection, therefore, talk to your doctor about it. If you are 6-8 weeks into the healing of the scar, you can ask your dermatologist or surgeon about having or any other scar removal treatment by laser; at that point it will be most effective.
- Always wear sunscreen when you are outdoors
- Try home remedies to remove the scars and marks before seeking OTC treatments
- If you have old pimple, tummy tuck, c-section or chicken pox scars they can still benefit from laser treatment they do not have to be fresh.
Scar Treatment Products – Best Scar Treatment Products with Silicone Gel
When shopping for best scar treatment products, it is important to look at the active ingredients. Most scar treatment products claim to be natural yet, they are full of artificial ingredients that could give you an allergic reaction. Therefore, make sure you can see an ingredient list.
There is a scar treatment product, not so new because since it has been around since the 1980s. It is commonly referred to as silicone gel. There are various reasons as to why you should consider any cream or wrapping products with silicone gel.
In order for your wound, bruise or zit to heal properly without leaving a scar, it is important to keep moist, not dry as most people think, and covered. This way, the skin tissue will have a favorable condition to repair itself almost seamlessly.
Silicone gel or silicone sheeting contain long chain silicone polymer and silicone dioxide. This makes it self drying when applied on a wound or zit. It is also spreads easily you do not have to use a lot of effort to apply it. You can use silicone gel without fixing it with a covering.
The gel is transparent and dries within 5 minutes after application. This way, you can go about your business without anyone noticing what you have on the wound. According to tests done on silicone or scar treatment product with this element, scars have reduced in texture by 86%, 84% in color and 68% in height.
This makes silicone based creams the best scar treatment products because they can work on all types of scars. Although, scar treatment products with silicone work best on new scars, they can improve greatly old scars as well.
Home Scar Treatment, Homemade Scar Treatment or Scar Treatment at Home
You can also try using homemade scar treatment if you do not have the money to spend on creams and ointments. Although there are no studies to prove that home scar treatment does work, there are various remedies that have been used over the years with some improvement, and sometimes significant one.
For scar treatment at home you would require to apply:
- Vitamin E oil
- Honey +Cinnamon
- Lemon juice – it brightens the dark scars especially on face
- Neem leaves
- Lavender oil among others.
The Last Resort-Prescription Scar Treatment
If nothing seems to work to clear your skin scars, it is always good to seek prescription scar treatment as a last resort. This is because prescribed medications are stronger on skin and could leave your skin sensitive to the sun. Therefore, if you have to get a prescription from your dermatologist, ensure that you invest also in sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher. If you can avoid the sun the better, here are some of the creams the doctor may prescribe:
- Retin A
- Hydroquinone 4%
NB: If your doctor prescribes hydroquinone do not use it with hydrogen peroxide or benzoyl peroxide. These are strong chemicals which could react badly with the hydroquinone.
Over the Counter Scar Treatment –Trusted OTC Scar Treatment Brands
Shopping for the most used scar reduction treatment can be difficult in a market flooded by thousands of products. However, it is easier to find out from the online stores. Here are the most trusted brands online:
- Scar Away Repair Gel
- Biocorneum plus SPF 30
- New Gel+E Advanced Silicone Gel
- Sweet Bee Magic
- Silver Biotics