Red Bloodshot Eyes –Symptoms, Causes, Get Rid, Cures, Remedies of Blood Shot Eyes
Are red bloodshot eyes the same as red eyes? What causes bloodshot eyes? Which red bloodshot eyes cures can I use or how do I get rid of blood shot eyes? Get answers to all these questions and many others on blood shot eye including the symptoms, natural and home remedies for blood shot eyes m treatments and much more.
What are Red Bloodshot Eyes or Bloodshot Eyes?
- What are Red Bloodshot Eyes or Bloodshot Eyes?
- Symptoms of Red Bloodshot Eye
- Causes of Bloodshot Eye – Reasons for Bloodshot Eyes
- How to Get Rid of Bloodshot Eyes – Cures and Home Remedies
- Home Remedies for Bloodshot Eyes
- Bloodshot Eyes Cures and Treatments
- Further Suggested Reading on Red Eyes
- More on Pink Eye/Conjunctivitis
Red bloodshot eyes, also known as red eye are a condition where the blood vessels on the conjunctiva (eye surface) swell as they expand. Although blood shot eye could be caused by many other things, they are often because of any small eye irritation such as allergies, dryness and dust. To some people this condition is strange, they wake up in the morning only to realize they have blood shot eye!
Symptoms of Red Bloodshot Eye
Since red bloodshot eyes are also known as red eyes, the symptoms are similar to those of red eyes. You will get a detailed coverage of symptoms of bloodshot eye. The general symptom is eye redness, Include eye redness, bloating of the stomach, Headache, fever, itchiness, proptosis, Sniffing, sneezing, mucus or pus, Swollen hands, eye redness, mild pain, dry or teary, etc, depending on the cause of blood shot eyes. The exact symptoms of bloodshot eye you will have will be dependent on the cause of bloodshot eye since when it is caused by fatigue or allergy, you might have different symptoms. Kindly refer to Causes of Red Eye – Symptoms, Reasons and Why You Have Red Eye.
Bloodshot eyes in children are caused by the same things that cause red and blood shot eyes in adults or any other persons. You will also see the jagged thin lines on a child’s white-eye part (sclera).
Causes of Bloodshot Eye – Reasons for Bloodshot Eyes
If you are having blood shot eyes, you need to know that there are different causes of bloodshot eye some of which are diseases and conditions while others are caused by physical injuries or trauma. Furthermore, some causes of bloodshot eye can be harmless and will disappear on their own while others need urgent medical treatment since they could be sight threatening. It is therefore good to ensure you have known the causes of bloodshot eye to be certain it will not affect your eye or sight. Some of the common causes of blood shot eyes include the following:
- Dry Eye Syndrome or Dry Eye
- Allergy reactions
- Sub-conjunctival Hemorrhage
- Red eyes from contact lenses
- Computer vision syndrome
- Eye Injury and Trauma
- Corneal Ulcer
- Ocular herpes
- Eye Whitening Drops
- Flu and Cold
- Smoking and Alcohol
- Lack of Sleep
- Iritis disease
- Swimming in chlorinated water
- Environmental hazards
If you want explanations to each of the cause of bloodshot eye, see causes of Red Eye. We have seen the reasons for blood shot eyes; let us now look at how to get rid of bloodshot eyes or bloodshot cures. I hope the above causes answer one of the most bothersome questions that most people ask, why do I have bloodshot eyes?
How to Get Rid of Bloodshot Eyes – Cures and Home Remedies
We have seen the various causes of blood shot eyes as well as some red bloodshot symptoms. It is time to look at both how to get rid of blood shot eye as well as some of the red bloodshot cures. Not all the causes of bloodshot will require treatments or cure. Some instances of red blood shot eyes will disappear after a few days on their own. Some of the common ways to get rid of bloodshot eye include the following:
Home Remedies for Bloodshot Eyes
Home remedies are one of the most common ways to get rid of blood shot eyes. You could various things to help reduce the symptoms that come with this condition or completely deal with this problem. So what are some of the red bloodshot eyes home remedies?
- Relax Eyes and Sleep Adequately – Since lack of sleep is one of the causes of blood shot eyes, it is advisable to ensure you have adequate sleep every day. You should also relax your eyes buy staying in a dark room for some minutes during the day.
- Television and Computers – If you spend too much time on your TV or computer, you need to consider reducing this time to give your eyes a break. This home remedy for bloodshot eyes has been found to help people who spend long hours on TV screens or computer monitors. Ensure you have at least a 10-minute break after staring on screen (TV or computer) for one hour.
- Warm Compresses – Another worthwhile home remedy for bloodshot eyes is warm eye compresses severally during the day. These compresses will help in treating blepharitis and conjunctiva, which might be the cause of bloodshot eye you have.
- Use humidifier – Dry hair could be a possible cause of red blood shot eyes. To get rid of bloodshot eyes causing by dry hair, consider installing a humidifier in your house. This will make dry hair more humid and comfortable; thereby prevent redness that results to blood shot eyes.
- Good Diet and Lots of Water – Ensure you are eating good diet as it can help get rid of bloodshot eyes other than the other benefits your body will get. Ensure it has lots of Vitamins A, E, B6, the essential fatty acids, among other nutrients. When you cannot get enough, always use supplements. In addition, to help get rid of bloodshot eyes, ensure you take at least 8 glasses of water daily to help your eyes to be well hydrated.
- Cold Compresses – If you are having inflammations, cold compresses is the best way to get rid of bloodshot eyes. This natural home remedy for blood shot eyes has been found to sooth and help reduce eye redness. You can use frozen bags or ice pack. Avoid putting frozen ice directly on your skin to avoid ice burns.
- Chlorinated Water – Avoid swimming in chlorinated water if you want to get rid of bloodshot eyes that are caused by swimming in chlorinated water. Alternatively, ensure you use goggles when you go swimming.
- Goldenseal – This medicinal plant has been found to help in constricting blood vessels since it has berberine and you can use it as a wash or compress to get rid of blood shot eyes.
- Cold Water – When you wake up in the morning and you have blood shot eyes, ensure you splash cold water on your face to help sooth your eyes and make blood vessels to shrink and thus reduce appearance of eye redness.
There are many other natural and home remedies for bloodshot eye which you can try that include soaking cotton pad in a mixture of milk, aloe vera juice and rose water and place it on your eyelids while your eyes are closed in a dimly lit room.
Bloodshot Eyes Cures and Treatments
Other than the above home remedies to get rid of blood shot eyes, you also need to consider various ways to cure this condition. Of course, the first step to cure bloodshot eyes is visiting a physician for advice on what the causes of your blood shot eyes are. You can then get the right medications that will help get rid of bloodshot eyes. This should be considered serious if you have severe symptoms of bloodshot eyes that do not subside after a few days.
- Avoid Allergens and Treat Allergies – if your red blood shot eye are caused by allergies, stay away from allergy causing substances (allergens) such as pollen, dust, smoke, animal dander or get over the counter medications for these allergies especially the anti-histamine and medications such as Zyrtec and Benadryl. This will help you cure bloodshot eyes caused by allergic reactions.
- Artificial Tears – If the cause of bloodshot eye is eye dryness, consider going for artificial tears, such as Tears Naturale Free Lubricant Eye Drops, 60 Single-Use Vials or Artificial Tears Ophthalmic Solution – 15 Ml,RUG which are available in most drug stores. The will help to get rid of bloodshot eyes by ensuring you have enough tears, your eyes are moist and the eye mucus membrane is lubricated well. However, avoid medicated eye drops, as they are known to cause eye drying even if they will eliminate some of the symptoms of bloodshot eyes.
- Rinse Bloodshot Eyes – To help cure blood shot eyes; consider rinsing your eyes in gently running warm water. You could also use the slightly saline contact lens eyewashes. Eye rinsing helps bring the soothing and moisturizing effect.
There are many other ways on how cure bloodshot eyes you can try which include the use of medicated eye drops and other medications that a physician might recommend after analyzing your situation. You should also turn to healthy lifestyle and reduce the consumption of alcohol, stop smoking, stop straining your eyes and cosmetics on your eyes.
Further Suggested Reading on Red Eyes
- Causes of Red Eye – Symptoms, Reasons and Why You Have Red Eyes
- Get Rid of Red Eyes – Cures, Remedies, Redness in Eyes Treatment
- Red Eye in Photos – Causes, Prevention and How to Fix Red Eye Pictures
- Red Eye in Dogs – Causes, Symptoms, Cure, Remedies, Treatment of Cats and Dogs with Red Eyes
More on Pink Eye/Conjunctivitis
- Pink Eye Cure and Treatments – Diagnosis, Cures and Treatment of Different Types Pinkeye or Conjunctivitis
- Bacterial Pink Eye – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention of Bacterial Conjunctivitis
- Remedies for Pink Eye – Natural and Home Conjunctivitis or Pinkeye Remedies
- Pink Eye Symptoms –What is, Types, Causes, Sign, Relief and Pinkeye Newborns, Children and Adults
- Viral Pink Eye – Causes, Symptoms, Cures, Treatments, Prevention Diagnosis of Viral Conjunctivitis
- Contagious Pink Eye – Is Pink Eye Contagious? How Long, Prevention of Infectious Conjunctivitis
- Eye Drops for Pink Eye – Use, Side Effects, Antibiotic, Over the Counter and Ointments for Conjunctivitis