How to Make the Best Lip Balm – Recipes and Ingredients
Are you looking for info on how to make lip balm at home? Learn the steps, ways, tutorial, best recipes on how to make lip balm with Beeswax, SPF, Vaseline, Honey, coconut oil as well as balms for kids, vegan, that are natural, organic and much more. You will get important tips, ideas and secrets too. While looking at how to make lip balm at home, we are going to answer the following basic questions:
- What is a lip balm?
- How do lip balms work?
- What are the general ingredients present in lip balms?
- How do you make lip balm with beeswax, Vaseline, honey, coconut oil or with SPF?
- Can you make lip balms for kids?
- How do you make organic or natural lip balms?
- What is vegan lip balm and how do you make them
- What are some of the best lip balm recipes you can use at home to make lip balm?
What is a Lip Balm
- What is a Lip Balm
- How Do Lip Balm Work – Working Principle
- How to Make Lip Balm and Best Recipes – Make Your Own Lip Balm At Home
- Tips, Ideas and Secrets for Making Lip Balm at Home
- How Make Lip Balm with Beeswax
- How to Make Lip Balm with Vaseline – Recipe
- How Make Natural Lip Balm – How to Make Organic Lip Balm
- How Make Lip Balm with Coconut Oil – Recipe
- How to Make Lip Balm with SPF (Sun Protecting Factor) – Recipe with Sunscreen
- How to Make Lip Balm for Kids – Recipe
- How Make Lip Balm with Honey – Recipe
- How to Make Vegan Lip Balm – Recipe
- Other Best Lip Balm Recipes
- Essential Oils, Flavors and Fragrance
- See Lipsticks for Best Brands, Colors, How to Wear and Much More
Before we look at how to make lip balms, it is a good idea you understand what lip balm are and why it should be used. A lip balm also known as a lip salve is a wax-like lip care product applied on lips to help relieve dry and chapped lips. It also helps in soothing or dealing with stomatitis, cold sores and angular cheilitis.
Although we will cover them in details as we look at how to make lip balm and some of the lip balm recipes, you deserve to know that some of the ingredients present in lip balms include beeswax (or carnauba wax) cetyl alcohol, camphor, petrolatum, lanolin among many other natural ingredients.
Lip balm also contains dyes and colorants to help give it a certain color, flavor additives, phenols, fragrances, salicylic acid, sunscreens, etc.
How Do Lip Balm Work – Working Principle
Another important thing you should know before you learn how to make lip balm is how they work. They normally form a protective layer on your lips that will protect your lips from wind, dry air, cold, since lips are very vulnerable to dryness when compared to body skin. The protective layer will also seal moisture from your lips hence they will not dry.
Let us not go to how to make lip balm at home where we will consider a number of things such as lip balms with beeswax, natural, organic, with coconut, vegan, for kids, with SPF, organic and with Vaseline. While discussing the ways on how to make the various lip balm types, we will also mention a few best lip balm recipes.
How to Make Lip Balm and Best Recipes – Make Your Own Lip Balm At Home
While looking at how to make lip balm, we intend to cover both best recipes for making it at home and general steps you need to follow. We will also mention something on lip balm with beeswax, how to make natural and organic lip balm organic, how to make lip balm with honey, coconut, for kids, with SPF and how to make vegan lip balm.
To make everything easy, we will mention the general steps for making lip balms at home before looking at specific best recipes. This will ensure you can make any lip balm provided you know the ingredients you need.
The general procedure for making lip balm is easy and straightforward. It also requires basic ingredients, which are readily available. There are also many easy recipes for making lip balm, which you can follow. It takes about 10 minutes to make your own lip balms and you stand a chance to save money, control ingredients present, add or blend special ingredients you like.
When making any kind of lip balm, the general homemade lip balm recipe is to ensure you put three parts of carrier oil, one part of beeswax (or Carnauba wax or vegans) i.e. without including butter in your calculation since they are in solid form at room temperature, and about eight essential oils drops to 1 oz lip balm container. (You can as much essential oil as you want but lesser is always better). Here are the basic steps to make lip balm at home:
- Grate or coarsely chop beeswax or Carnauba Wax and add to a small pot (or a Pyrex cup for measuring) that has your carrier oils (jojoba, olive, coconut, etc) and butters onto a double boiler and melt the mixture gently. Water should not boil into the mixture i.e. it should be one to two inches from pot bottom.
- Once the mixture as melted, remove the heat source and add essential oils, which will dissipate with some scent. Add to your own discretion.
- Pour the mixture into a good empty lip balm container or tube while it is still hot. If it happens to cool too quickly, you can gently re-melt it in your double boiler.
- Let your lip balm cool completely before you cap the lip balm pot or container. It is recommended to let it cool overnight.
Tips, Ideas and Secrets for Making Lip Balm at Home
The above are general steps to make lip balm at home. Before we go to specific best recipes for homemade lip balms, let us see some of the important secrets, tips and ideas that will ensure you get perfect results. So what are some of these tips?
- When making lip balms if it ends up being too hard, you will re-melt it and add more carrier oil and if it is too soft, you will re-melt it and add more beeswax or Carnauba wax if you are a vegan. It is not easy to mess up.
- When selecting the best lip balm recipes, you need to go for recipes that will make your lip balm a little harder during the summer while in winter, ensure your lip balm recipe gives you softer lip balm.
We only looked at the general steps on how to make lip balms. The exact procedure you follow might slightly vary but the general steps will hold. Let us now focus on best recipes to make lip balms.
How Make Lip Balm with Beeswax
We have already seen how to make lip balm with Beeswax. Most homemade lip balms will contain either beeswax or Carnauba Wax if you are a vegan.
To make lip balm with beeswax, you need to follow any of the below recipes or simply take 1 oz of beeswax beads or grated one, two tsp of sweet almond oil or honey, 2 drops of vitamin E oil and essential oil. The method to follow is more or less the same as the basic ways or steps of making lip balms seen above
How to Make Lip Balm with Vaseline – Recipe
Making lip balms with Vaseline is the most basic and easiest thing to do. Here, you will not be using any wax i.e. beeswax or even the Carnauba Wax. To make lip balm with Vaseline, here is what you need to do:
- Melt some amount of Vaseline in a microwave
- Add some colorant if you need a colored lip balm. You can use your lipstick color or any other colorant including the natural colorants.
- Add flavor using the various essential oils or juices such as cranberry, orange or lemon juices.
- Mix thoroughly, poor it into your lip balm container and let it cool.
How Make Natural Lip Balm – How to Make Organic Lip Balm
The general procedure for making organic or natural lip balm is more or less the same as making other lip balms. The only difference will be that in making organic lip balm, all the ingredients you are going to use should be from organic source (certified organic vendors). Otherwise, the steps on how to make natural lip balm or those on how to make organic lip balm are the same.
The only distinguishing thing between organic or lip balm and other lip balms is these types of lip balms do not contain any artificial ingredients, chemical or animal products. Instead, all the ingredients are natural.
To give you more information on homemade natural and organic lip balms, you can follow many recipes some of which we have discussed such as those with coconut oil, with almond oil, vegan, peppermint, lemon, etc.
How Make Lip Balm with Coconut Oil – Recipe
If you want to make lip balm with coconut oil, you might choose to go for beeswax or Carnauba Wax. The recipe for lip balm with coconut oil is straightforward.
- One part of beeswax or Carnauba Wax
- Two parts of coconut oil such as Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- A few drops of vitamin E oil (acts as a natural preservative other than having antioxidants) or a few drops of essential oil of your choice
How to Make Lip Balm with SPF (Sun Protecting Factor) – Recipe with Sunscreen
When making lip balm with SPF, you need to follow the normal lip-balm making recipes and add some SPF, sunscreen or sun blocking ingredients. This ingredients will ensure your lips are protected from the effect of direct sunlight, especially during a sunny summer season.
The only thing we should emphasis as you make lip balms with SPF is ensuring you have used a safe ingredient to offer protection from sun. Some of the commonly used ingredients that can help as SPF include titanium dioxide, avocado oil, vitamin E (SPF 4), zinc oxide, coconut oil, rosehip oil, etc. However, these ingredients might not be perfect.
However, if you want good SPF protection, go for products professionally as they will effectively protect you from the sun.
How to Make Lip Balm for Kids – Recipe
If you have young children, you can either decide to buy them lip balms for kids that have been specially formulated or make one at home. Some of the lip balms for kids you can buy include Kiss My Face Kids Duo Pack Orange, Avon – NATURALS KIDS Magnificent Mango, Honest Kids Goodness Grapeness USDA Certified by Eco Lips, etc.
However if you want to make lip balms for kids at home, you need to ensure they are safe since the kids lips might not be tolerant as those of adults. Generally, kids will prefer sweet flavors such as honey, milk, chocolate. You will follow the normal steps or recipe for making lip balms but when it comes to amounts, ensure they are milder to levels kids can tolerate. Furthermore, going for organic or natural lip balm will be idea for kids.
How Make Lip Balm with Honey – Recipe
For those who would like to make lip balms with honey, they have a choice to decide on which other ingredients to include. Lip balms with honey are definitely a great choice since honey has many roles. The recipe you should follow when making lip balms with honey is as follow:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- 3/4 teaspoon of grated beeswax
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure cocoa butter
- A few drops of essential oil of your choice (2-3)
The method for making lip balms with honey is similar to the basic steps above. The exact type of lip balm with honey you will make is dependent on the essential oil you will add. Adding lemon will for instance make it a lemon lip balm with honey.
How to Make Vegan Lip Balm – Recipe
Vegans do not use animal products or products that have animal products. When making lip balms for vegan, it only means you cannot use beeswax, for instance since they are animal products (bees) or any oils from animals.
The steps on how to make vegan lip balms are just like the other steps with the difference being only the ingredients present. To give you a sample of the vegan lip balm recipe, especially the ingredients, here is what you expect to use:
- 1oz of candelilla, soy or Carnauba Wax
- 1oz of oils that are solid at room temperature such as mango or shea butter, avocado or coconut oil
- 2 oz liquid oil such as jojoba or olive oil (liquid at room temperature
- A few drops of essential oils
The method on how to make lip balm for vegan is just as the one we saw for making lip balms. You can decide to add a few natural ingredients such as kukui nut oil to help prevent chapped lips as well as sooth your lips if they are already dry.
Other Best Lip Balm Recipes
Lemon Coconut Oil Lip Balms for about 9 lip balm tubes – For this recipe, you need1 and 2 Tablespoons of coconut and sunflower oil respectively, about 10 drops of lemon essential oil together with 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of beeswax.
Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balms – To make peppermint cocoa lip balms, you need 1 and 2 Tablespoons of cocoa butter and sweet almond oil respectively used together with 1 tablespoon and teaspoon of beeswax, a tablespoon of olive oil as well as up to 10 drops of peppermint oil (essential oil).
Healing Herbal Balms – If you want to make this lip balm, which is unscented, the recipe to follow is 1 and 2 tablespoons shea butter and Calendula Infused Olive Oil respectively, a table spoon of jojoba oil, about 4-6 vitamin E oil drops and 1 tablespoon and teaspoon of beeswax.
Multi-purpose lip balms – To make an ‘all purpose lip balm’ at home the following ingredients will be enough for about 6 ½ oz that can fit in about 24 empty lip balm containers, each weight a ¼ oz. You will use 1 oz of apricot kernel or sweet almond oil and the same amount of shear butter, cocoa, sunflower oil, olive (or avocado oil) and 1 ½ oz beeswax. You will then add about 30 to 40 drops of essential oil.
These are not the only lip balm recipes you can make at home. There are many other homemade lip balms, which include:
- Minty Chocolate Recipe
- Coco-Rosey Recipe
- Lavender Recipe
- Vanilla-Rose Lip Balms
- Peppermint-Eucalyptus Lip Balms
- Vanilla-Rose Lip Balms
Essential Oils, Flavors and Fragrance
While looking at the various lip balm recipes, we kept on mentioning essential oils. Not everyone knows exactly what these oils are. We are going to mention something small on essential oils below:
- Cinnamon essential oil – It is used for warming and spicing. It is strong and it should be used in small amounts.
- Clove – spicing, warming, very strong thus should be used sparingly.
- Ginger – It is spicy, exotic and warm. It should be used during winter. Since it is strong, you must use it sparingly.
- Lime and Grapefruit – Gives an uplifting, citrus fresh scent
- Peppermint and spearmint essential oils – It gives refreshing, invigorating, and cooling effect. They should be used sparingly since these oils are very strong.
- Sweet orange – Has an uplifting, sweet, refreshing citrus scent. It blends easily and so well with most of the other oils.
Other common essential oils you should consider include vanilla, lavender,
We have looked at how to make lip balm at home as well as discussed the different types of lip balms you can make at home include the natural lip balm, organic, with honey, with Vaseline, with SPF, for vegans, kids as well as best lip recipes for each. Ensure you try to see which your favorite flavor of essential oils is.
Further Reading on Lip Balms
- Lip Balm Containers, Tins and Pots – Empty Wholesale, Where to Buy Cheap Lip Balm Containers
- Best Tinted Lip Balm including Natural, Red, Sugar, Burt S Bees Tinted Lip Balms
- Organic Lip Balms & Natural Lip Balm – Best Brands, How to Make, Homemade Recipe
- Easy Recipes and How to Make Your Own Lip Balm At Home with Coconut, Vaseline, Honey, etc.
- How to Make Beeswax Lip Balm At Home – Easiest DIY For Making Lip Balms
- Get the Best Lip Balm Brands with SPF, For Moisturizing, For Dry Lips, For Men and Natural
- Lip Balm Tubes including Empty, Paper, Large, Where to Buy and Cheap Wholesale
Suggested Further Reading on Lip Glosses
- Lip Gloss for Men, Girls, Kids and Best Lip Gloss Brands including Black Lip Gloss
- Get the Best Pink Lip Gloss Shades Including Hot, Baby, Light, Peachy, and Bubblegum
- Best Natural Lips Glosses and How to Make them Including Homemade Recipes
More Work on Type of Lips
- Big lips Meaning, Girls, Men with these Lips and Makeup Tips for Get Bigger Lips
- Small lips Meaning, Girls, Men with Small Lips, Makeup Tips and Small Bumps and Pimple on Lips
- Round Lips Meaning, Makeup Tips for Round Lips Gloss, Balm, NYX, and Makeup for Round Lip
- Thick lips Meaning, People with Thick Lips, Makeup Tips and Thick Upper Black Lips
More Articles on Types Other Lip Makeup
- Best Lip Plumper – Natural, Homemade, Plumping Lip Gloss and How to Make Lip Plumpers
- Best Lip Liner Including Clear, Permanent, Invisible, Waterproof and How to Apply Lip Liners
- Best Lip Moisturizer Including Balms, Glosses, Natural, For Men, Homemade and Tinted