What ingredients should you look for in a good natural hair shampoo? Which is the best clarifying shampoo for natural hair? Which is the best sulfate free brand to go for?
If you wish to have a good hair day or night, styling is not the only important thing, but also your hairs cleanliness. In fact, you should think through about your hair cleaning products because they will determine the manageability of your hair all through to styling. Therefore, it is imperative to have the best shampoo and conditioner.
Finding the best shampoo for natural hair in a market with thousands of brands can be discouraging. However, if you know what to look for in your brand, you will have a smooth ride shopping.
Alternatively, you could also decide to go for those made right in you own kitchen. Here is a comprehensive list of the best shampoos for natural hair, clarifying, moisturizing, sulfate free, homemade shampoo recipes and over the counter shampoos and conditioners. I hope you find worth keeping hair-cleaning companion.
How often To Shampoo Natural Hair
It is important to wash your hair often, but most people struggle with the question how often to shampoo natural hair. The answer will depend on the products you use on your hair. If they are heavy and leave flakes as most gels, then they will need to be removed from your hair as often as possible or else choose brands that will not leave residue. Another thing to consider is your lifestyle. If you love to keep fit by hitting the gym or swimming, you will need to wash off the sweat and chlorine as often as you involve in these activities.
The climate and environment also plays a major role in how regularly you shampoo your hair. Summer months will be hot and the wind may be blowing all over with dust. Similarly, if you go to a restaurant’s kitchen you hair will carry food smell or smog. You will need to wash off the dust particles and any collected fumes off your hair. It is good to wash your hair when your schedule allows, but try to make it weekly 1-2 times if you can. If the once or biweekly cannot fit in your schedule, create a suitable one for your hair. Here are more tips and rules for natural hair.
Best Shampoo for Natural Hair or Good Shampoo for Natural Hair or Top
It is not possible to clean your hair without a good shampoo that will remove all the residue from the other products you use for washing, styling and even greesing your hair. On top of that, the dirt from the environment. Therefore, when it comes to choosing the right shampoo for your hair you should know the ingredients to go for and those to totally avoid. Of course, the ones that you are avoiding tend to be harsh on both your hair and scalp.
It is also wise to go for a shampoo that will adjust the pH on your scalp. You tend to suffer from an itchy scalp from the use of shampoos that are too acidic or too alkaline. A good brand should adjust your scalp pH to be between 4.5-6.5. You can purchase the pH strips to ensure that you are not being fooled by the manufacturers.
You should also look for moisturizing ingredients also known as cationic components in your shampoo. You want to be sure that you are washing your hair and leaving it supple at the same time. It would be best also if you settled for a creamy shampoo instead of a gel like brand, which tend to be laden with harsh chemicals.
The cationic or moisturizing ingredients that increase the conditioning ability of your shampoo include:
- Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride
If you can find all these in a single brand, do not leave the store without it.
The best shampoo for natural should NOT have any of these harsh ingredients:
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
- Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium Myreth Sulfate
- TEA Lauryl Sulfate
- Selenium Sulfide
- Amonnium Xylen Sulfonate
- Saponified oils
These are ingredients responsible for the foamy effect in your shampoo; however, you can still have the same soapy foam from the best shampoos with gentler ingredients such as:
- Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate
- Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate
- Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
Below you will find a brand of the best shampoo for natural hair:
- Carol’s Daughter Chocolat Smoothing Shampoo
- Giovanni Colorflage Daily Color Defense Shampoo
- Free Your Mane Sulfate Free Hydrating Shampoo
- Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo
- Oyin Grand Poo Bar – Succulent Solid Shampoo
- Motions Naturally You Moisturizing Cleanser
- MIZANI Supreme Oil Moisturizing Shampoo
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
- Coiles Leave-in Shampoo
- Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo
- Shea Terra Organics Argan &Ghassol Shampoo bar
- Komaza Moja Shampoo
- Keracare Sulfate Free Shampoo
- Pureology Antifade Complex Hydrate Shampoo
- Ojon Damage Reverse Shampoo
- Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing conditioner
Best Moisturizing Shampoo for Natural Hair
You can ensure manageability of your hair if you moisturize your hair from the washing. Here is a list of best moisturizing shampoo for natural hair:
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
- Ouidad Curl Recovery – Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil
- CURLS Curliscious Curls Cleansing Cream
- L’Oreal EverCreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla
- Elucence Moisture Benefits
- Chagrin Valley Babassu Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
- Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine
- L’Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
Sometimes you do not have to purchase a new shampoo to get the moisturizing benefits. Mixing your regular shampoo with conditioner, equal parts of each for each washing session would give you enough moisture in your hair.
Clarifying Shampoo for Natural Hair
If you deep condition your hair weekly, style your hair with gel for natural hair or make use of many other mousses and sprays, then eventually these products will build up in your hair and damage it. You can only avoid such a scenario by investing in a clarifying shampoo for natural hair. Be as extravagant as you want with the clarifying kind because you only to get to use it once per month.
Here are some of the best clarifying shampoos out there in the market:
- Rusk Sensories Clarify Rosemary and Quillaja Detoxifying Shampoo
- Peppermint Scrub Purifying Shampoo
- Brocato Peppermint Scrub Purifying Shampoo
- Curlisto Aqualizer Clarifying Shampoo
- Traders Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle
- Carol’s Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying Sulfate-Free shampoo
- Kinky Curly Come Clean
- Sebastian Stark Naked Unisex Shampoo
- Curls Pure Curls Claryfying Shampoo
- Ouidad Water Works
Sulfate Free Shampoo for Natural Hair and Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Natural Hair
Any shampoo with sulfates or sulphates is dangerous if used for a long period on your natural hair. You could even end up losing your hair from the accumulation of these harsh chemicals. Therefore, you can ensure you do not travel that road by buying a shampoo that is sulfate free. You have to read the ingredients label though, do not rely on the name only it might fool you.
The best sulfate free shampoo for natural hair will not be gel like but mostly creamy. Therefore, make sure you check for this. If a shampoo has a gel consistency, the most probably it is soapy and full of sulfates. If you are looking for a sulfate free brands, the following brands are excellent:
- Himilayas Shampoo
- Devacurl Low Poo
- ABBA Pure Curls
- John Masters Evening Primrose Shampoo
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Shampoo- for both kids and adults
- Jonathan Add Moisture Shampoo
- Lush Shampoo
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla
- Ole Henriksen Wash with Sea Kelp
- Burt’s Bees Shampoo
- L’Oreal Everstrong
Other Natural Hair Shampoo
Your conventional shampoo may not be the product that will clean your hair perfectly; sometimes you may want to explore the extraordinary brands only to get that clean feel in your hair. You can find a natural hair shampoo in brands without the usual consistency or not. A good example of a different kind of shampoo is dry shampoo.