Are you looking for organic hair dye or all natural hair dyes? Get information on what they are, their best brands including henna, where to buy them, and a lot more. You will also get insight on benefits that these hair dyes come with as well permanent and semi permanent organic haircolors or dyes.
What Is Organic Hair Dye
- What Is Organic Hair Dye
- Benefits or Pros of Organic Hairdyes and Colors
- Best Organic Hair Dyes – Top Brands At Home
- Natural Organic Hair Dye – Top Brands
- Organic Hairdye Colors and Shades
- Professional Organic Hair Dye Salons
- Organic Henna Hair Dye and Top Brands
- Where to Buy Organic Hair Dyes
- Can You Be Allergic to Organic Hair Dyes?
Organic hair dye is a type of hair dye, which does not contain any chemicals or synthetic ingredients such as peroxide, ammonia, toluene, resorcinol, PPDs (para-phenylenediamines), PTD (para-toluenediamine), lead, napthol, propylene glycol, coal tar, parabens, azo-dyes, disperse dyes, diazo-dyes, etc. i.e. they contain only natural ingredients. If the source of these raw materials for organic hair dyes is from organic farming, then they are considered as certified organic hairdyes.
Of course, these hair dyes are considered safer when compared to synthetic dyes since the ingredients in synthetic hair dyes pose cancer risks as well as other side effects to your hair. They often leading to hair damages and they may even affect your scalp.
While making organic hair dyes, henna or vegetable oils based formulas are used instead of petroleum-based formulas. They often have lubricating and protective plant oils and other essential plant extracts and oils. Furthermore, only natural color enhancing products such as chlorophyll, Emblica, Green tea, Rooibos, Hawthorne, etc are used together with other scalp and hair nourishing natural plant extracts (such as Ginseng, Lemon Balm, Nettle, Honeysuckle, Rosehips, Calendula). You will get both semi permanent and permanent organic hair dyes in the market.
Organic Permanent Hair Dyes– These dyes use mostly organic extracts. However, they can only the used to lighten your hair by one or two shades lighter. These dyes can last for a much longer time when compared to semi permanent ones and some of them may contain the lowest amounts of PPD contents.
Semi Permanent – Similarly, the semi permanent organic hair dyes are free of the above synthetic hair dyes and will cover grey hair well. Most of these will last for about 6 to 12, shampoo washes and the will slowly washout as time goes by. Previously dyed or damaged hair might not give the best results. Damaged hair might make them appear darker or a bit inconsistent than expected.
Benefits or Pros of Organic Hairdyes and Colors
Due to the absence of the above harsh chemical, organic hair colorings, especially when they are from certified organic manufacturer tend to be safer and better. Some of the main benefits of these hairdyes include the following:
- They do not penetrate your hairs shaft (cortex) where they can cause potential hair dames. However, this makes them not to last as long as synthetic haircolors and dyes will.
- Since they do not contain harsh chemicals mentioned above, they cause no damage to your hair. You will have shinier and healthier hair when you use them.
- Most of these haircolors will cover grey hairs completely (100% coverage)
- They contain natural ingredients, which will nourish, strengthen and protect your hair (proteins and natural moisturizers).
On the downside, natural organic hair dyes tend not to last as longs as synthetic ones, give results that are slightly less consistent, and might not be readily available if you are looking for a place where to buy them.
Best Organic Hair Dyes – Top Brands At Home
If you are looking for some of the best organic hair dyes and haircolors in the market, there are quite a number of great brands to try. However, while seeking for the best organic haircolors, do not forget the fact that there are many unscrupulous companies, which will claim their products are purely organic while they are not. So, what are some of the best organic hair dyes to go for?
- Light Mountain Natural Hair Color and Conditioner
- Surya Henna
- Nature Color
- Tints of Nature
- Morrocco Method Simply Pure Henna
- Color Me Naturally by Aubrey
- Rainbow Henna
- Naturigin Organic Based Hair Colour
- Henna and Indigo Powder
- LUSH Caca
- Palette by Nature
- Organic Color System
- Naturlite Natural Hair Lightening System
The above best organic hair dyes are the good at home natural organic hair dyes you should give a try. They come in different colors and shades. Ensure you select carefully the shade that will give you flattering looks. Furthermore, check online reviews, user ratings and comments before buying any of these dyes. Note that some of these dyes are liquids, other creams and others powders.
Natural Organic Hair Dye – Top Brands
Natural organic hair dye and all natural hair dye both means the same thing. The only difference is that all natural hair dye might not necessarily be made from organically grown natural plants or raw material i.e. organic hair dyes are produced from at least 95% organically grown raw materials (without synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, genetic engineering, growth hormones, etc.) while for the natural, it means there are not synthetic additives. Some of the best natural organic hair dyes include the following:
- EcoColors Non Toxic Professional Natural Hair Color
- Color Me Natural Hair Dye
- K pour Karite organic hair color 100% natural
- Pure Organics Herbal Hair Colour
- Logona Natural
- Organic Natural Hair Dye (Black) Covers Grey Hairs
We will not go into the details on natural hair dye since we have an article that exclusively covers these hair dyes. See more on natural hair dye, best brands, where to buy, etc.
Organic Hairdye Colors and Shades
For most of the above best organic hair dyes, you will find them in most shades such as platinum blonde, ash brown, blonde, brown, golden blonde, dark copper blonde, black, red, grey etc. Of course, organic hair dyes are ammonia free dyes with some natural lighteners and activators and they will help you achieve most of the colors you would wish to get. We will not mention all the colors since you will get almost any color you want.
Professional Organic Hair Dye Salons
Instead of buying the at home best organic hair dyes, which will give you trouble when it comes to where you will buy them, you can opt for professional organic salons which use only certified organic hair dyeing products. Salons such as John Masters in NYC and Aveda Salons are some of the good ones to give a try. Furthermore, you can try Organic Color Systems.
Organic Henna Hair Dye and Top Brands
There is a general argument that henna is one of the truly organic hair dyes you can rely on. However, vegetable oil based natural organic hair dyes are a good type to go for. Some of the popular or best henna organic hair dyes include the following:
- Surya Henna
- Rainbow Henna
- Saba Botanical Lustrous Henna
- 100% Natural Certified Organic Henna Powder hair dye
- Certified Organic Henna Hair Dye Kit By Philly Feathers
If you would like to get more insight about henna hair dye, we have exclusively covered henna hair dyes, where you will get insight on what they are, how to use them, leading brands, etc.
Where to Buy Organic Hair Dyes
When you are buying organic hair dye, you need to check if they are certified organic or not. This is for people who particularly want to be sure they what they are using is fully organic.
Although you might love them, it is a fact that you are not likely to get most of the organic hair dyes readily available in the United States. In fact, for some brands, you might be forced to import them from other countries such as United Kingdom, Australia, etc. This makes knowing where to buy organic hair dyes and colors very important.
To get them, try online stores such as eBay, amazon.com, Sally’s Beauty Supply, Naturalhairdye.com, among others. In fact, in these stores, you will get most of the organic haircolors we have listed in our discussion above.
Can You Be Allergic to Organic Hair Dyes?
Before using any organic hair dyes, you need to first test to see if you are allergic or you are not allergic to them. People can develop intolerance to both synthetic and natural hair dyes. Make it a routine to conduct hair dye allergy test before you use any hair-coloring product.
Further Suggested Reading
- What Are Demi Permanent Hair Colors – Best Brands and How to Remove Them
- Best Orange Hair Dye Brands Worthwhile Trying
- Foam Hair Color, Dye and Best Brands
- Best Non Permanent Hair Color Brands – Clairol, L’Oreal, Garnier, Nice N’ Easy
- Best Brands of Green Hair Dye Including Dark, Neon, Mint, Lime and Splat
- Best Brands of Silver Hair Dye Permanent and Semi Permanent
- Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye Symptoms, Treatment and Testing
- Turquoise Hair Dye and Hair Color – Best Brands Including Atomic and Semi Permanent
- Ammonia Free Hair Color & Dye – No Ammonia or Best Hair Dyes without Ammonia
- Washable Hair Dye & Color Best Brands For Kids and Splat
- Teal Hair Dye and Hair Color Including Dark and Permanent
- Glow in the Dark Hair Dye, Gels and Color – Best Brands