What are under eye concealers? What are some of the best eye concealer brands in the market? Get answers to all these questions and much more in this article including how to apply them, top brands for dark circles, eye bags, tips for, how choose and a lot more.
Under eye concealer refers to an eye makeup which is used to cover any imperfections or blemishes around the eyes which include dark eye circles (that could be as a result of a number of things such as allergies, aging, lack of sleep and other causes), sun sports, melasma, fine lines, c
ontours, variations of skin color tones etc. It should be the base or first eye makeup to apply before other makeup layers can follow.
If you did not know, these cosmetics are one of the most important eye makeup arsenals that every woman should be armed with to help prevent the tired looking eyes and the dark under eye circles and other blemishes. Some of the basic questions that the article will answer include the following:
- Which are some of the best dark circles concealer brands?
- What are the common forms dark eye concealers?
- What are the common types of dark concealers for eyes?
- How do you choose the best concealers for eyes?
- How do you apply dark them?
- What are some of the ingredients in dark eye concealers?
Best Dark Eye Concealer/Top Brand
- Best Dark Eye Concealer/Top Brand
- Best under Eye Concealer for Different Purposes
- Which Form of Under Eye Dark Circles Concealers to Use
- Types of Under Eye Concealers
- Ingredients of Under Eye Concealers
- How to Choose the Right under Eye Concealer
- How to Apply Under Eye Concealers
- Under Eye Concealer Tips, Secrets and Advices
There is no doubt many best under eye concealers in the market. We read reviewed most of the brands on the market as well as user ratings, feedback and review before we came up with this list. We are however, not endorsing any particular product as the best brands but some products that are widely used and popular with good rating from users as well as many positive reviews. So what products did we come up with?
- BOBBI BROWN Creamy Concealer
- Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat
- Cle de Peau Correcteur Visage Concealer
- Amazing Cosmetics Concealer
- Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 20 Multi-Tasking Concealer
- Benefit Erase Paste
- Bobbi Brown Tinted Eye Brightener
- Chanel Pro Lumiere Correcteur Professional Finish Concealer
- Cle de Peau Corrector
- Clinique Advanced
- CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place
- Estee Lauder Smoothing Creme
- Exuviance CoverBlend Multi-Function ,
- Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Eye Roller
- Lancome Effacernes
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
- MAC Studio Finish SPF 35
- Make Up For Ever Full Cover Extreme Camouflage Cream
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment
- Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Radiant Highlighting Concealer
- Neutrogena 3-In-1 Concealer For Eyes
- Origins Quick, Hide! Concealer
- Sephora Korres Antiaging Concealer
- Smashbox Camera Ready Full Coverage Concealer ,
- Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette
- Temptu Undereye Concealer
- Vincent Longo Creme Concealer
The above list represents some of the top concealers for under eyes. The list is not conclusive but has what is popular in the market and they might not necessarily on the best brands. Ensure you compare prices of various top eye concealer brands before settling on any specific brands. Also read reviews and user ratings.
Best under Eye Concealer for Different Purposes
While covering the best under eye concealer, we have to diversify a bit to help you identify the exact problem you want to get rid of. Here are a few best brands for different purposes.
Best Basic Eye Concealers
- Laura Mercier’s Undercover
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer
Best Eye Concealers for Redness
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
- Make Up For Ever Corrective Make Up Base in Blue
Best Illuminating eye Concealers
- Estee Lauder Ideal Light Illuminator
- Guerlain Perfect Light Illuminator
L’Oreal Paris True Match
Which Form of Under Eye Dark Circles Concealers to Use
As we have seen from the lengthy list above, there are many best brands available in the market, which cost different prices and help in concealing different imperfections. It all depends on the kind of budget you have, what you are trying to camouflage and your skin type.
1. Liquid under Eye Concealers
People who have thin under eye skin and circles that are not very dark should opt for liquid eye concealer with diffusing particles. Such an concealers is unlikely to flake or crease and the diffused particles which reflect will help in brightening your under eye skin. Some of the best liquid brands orproducts to use include the Clinique’s Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector or Maybelline’s Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer. You might need to apply several layers of these brands until dark circles and other color tone inconsistencies are completely hidden as the products offer sheer to light.
2. Cream under Eye Concealer
Buying a cream eye concealer is ideal for hiding red/brown spots and dark under eye circles. They have thicker formulation compared to liquid and you should apply them in thin layers to avoid creasing. People who have dry skins should first moisturize them before apply cream brands. Good brands to go for is the Fresh’s Umbrian Clay Absolute, Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer and Maybelline Cover Stick Concealer
3. Heavily Pigmented Under Eye Concealer
At times, you might be trying to hide tattoos, immense sun damages, and birthmarks. You need a heavy duty eye concealer that is highly pigmented. Some of the best brands for such problems include for Clé de Pea and Revlon’s Photoready Concealer will help you hide such intense under eye dark circles. You need to use them sparingly since they are thick and they might cause some tinny lines. If you want particularly to hide tattoos, the waterproof Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer is a long wear and heavy duty that will work well.
Types of Under Eye Concealers
We have seen the common forms . It is also good to look at some of the common types available in the market to avoid confusing them with some of the best brands.
Peach under eye concealers work for many skin tones and it only conceal while the yellow color will brighten and conceal. If you have dark under eye circles that are mainly purple, yellow will work best but for blue-black ones, go for peach.
Contour under Eye Concealers
These are the best concealers for under eye blemishes, which result from aging. Going for pancake concealers will help you restore any volume that might have been lost. They use silicone and/or other ingredients in contouring the areas of your eye that have fine lines.
Mineral under Eye Concealers
Another type of concealers for under eyes is the mineral. They are newer in the market and very promising. They contain ingredients such as titanium dioxide and mica, which are diffused by light and will brighten the whole area you have applied them well in addition to cornstarch. People with dry skins might look flaky. Before picking mineral brands, check to see if it contains to bismuth oxychloride for people who are allergic to this compound. Some of the best mineral eye concealers includes the e.l.f.’s Starter Kit, the Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Multi-Tasking Minerals, Maybelline Instant Age Rewind and Revlon Age Defying Moisturizing Concealer
Brightening Under Eye Concealers
These types of eye concealers contain compounds that refract light such as mica which refract light other than concealing blemishes. Most of them tend to come in liquid form and they might have pearl powder as one of their ingredients. They cover hollowness and dark under eye circles well but they might fade when they dry. If you want the best brightening under eye concealer, go for the Yves Saint Laurent’s Touche Eclat.
Ingredients of Under Eye Concealers
- Antioxidants and Vitamins – Most of the dark circles concealer serums and creams have antioxidants (especially the expensive ones). Most have vitamin A, C and E (the common antioxidants).
- Acids – they help in skin exfoliation and making it look thicker.
- Peptides/-xyl – these are amino acids that soften and strengthen the under eye skin tissue.
- Minerals such as titanium dioxide and mica
How to Choose the Right under Eye Concealer
Dark circles require a concealer that will tend to lighten up your eyelid surface. You need to choose a shade that is a bit lighter than your face and cheeks tone. This will ensure that it contrasts with the dark under eye circles and thereby neutralizing it.
Choosing the right shade can be a daunting task since if you do not do it properly, you are likely to end up looking awful. The general rule is you go for concealers that are slightly lighter than your skin tone but not too bright as you might end up having the looks of a raccoon. Summer season being sunny might require a slightly darker shade compared to winter when you should pick a slightly brighter eye concealer.
When choosing an them, they should be very consistent and have a uniform color as well as providing you with the coverage you need.
Secondly, before buying or using any of the best eye concealers, test it thoroughly to ensure it matches your color shade and does not cause any irritations.
How to Apply Under Eye Concealers
If well applied can give a perfect look. However if you hurriedly or poorly apply them, they will be visible and people will know you are trying to cover up for something. It is important to ensure you know how to apply under eye concealers properly as well as know some tips and secrets to ensure they perfect. Of course, from the content above, you definitely know how to choose the best brands and shade. Here is how to apply them:
- Begin with a completely clean surface (washed with water, soap as well as a toner to clear all the pores).
- Apply a moisturizer, especially for people who have dry skin types. You might need to use a sunscreen if you use it.
- Apply small dots of your concealer, under your eyes, close to your eyelashes and on your inside corners. Your finger could be used but for best results, use a brush with firm bristles and a small head.
- Using your ring finger, which ensures a light touch, tap or dab the concealer to ensure it has blended well. You can use your index finger if you find it does well as this is not a rule. Ensure you do not rub the concealer, as it will wipe it away. Dabbing should be in circular motions, while tapping or dabbing it will evenly spread it.
- Depending on the coverage level you want and the form you are using, you might add more layers.
- When you are through, smoothen the edges using a makeup sponge to blend it well with the rest of your face to avoid visible demarcations.
- Dusting a fine powder especially powder foundation or blush will ensure excellent results and once it has dried, you can apply other eye makeup.
Under Eye Concealer Tips, Secrets and Advices
Here, there is not much to say. The general rule is that heavily pigmented makeup goes on top of the lightly pigmented and powders go on top of liquids and creams.
1. Foundation or Concealer Firsts
When applying concealer for dark eye circles, it is important to begin with the dark eye concealer before you go to your foundation and other eye makeup. For other blemishes and pimples, you could begin with your foundation before going to concealer. Your concealer should be brighter than your eye foundation by one and a half times.
2. Using Under Eye Concealers for Dark Circles
If you are trying to disguise specifically under eye dark circles, ensure you choose correct types of concealers that will hide it mainly. The brightening types might not hide redness or other blemishes. Among the best under concealers for dark under eye circles you can go for is the Sue Devitt Automatic Camouflage.
3. Hiding a Pimple
Apply two layers on areas that are red and not on the raised part letting the first layer dry before the second one is applied. If you overdo it, use a damp Q-tip or a tissue gently to remove the excess. Again, cover the pimple. Use a stiff and pointed brush with a fine tip. One of the best pimple concealer you could go for is the Dermablend Smooth Concealer
4. Deep Scars and Pockmarks
If you have a pockmark that is concave shaped, an angled brush will work best. Dip it in your concealer, which should be lighter than your skin tone and fill the pockmark center. Do not go to the edges of the pockmark and dust your skin with a power that is translucent. Raised scars require concealers that match your skin tone. Pat the scar with your concealer before using powder to set the concealer.
5. Remove Bags under Eyes
This part is specifically for people who want to remove bags under eyes. If you have an under eye bag, go for a peach highlighter instead of an under eye concealer as it will give the illusion you are more awake. You need to pat dots of your highlighter on your lower eyelids, inner eye corners and on your eyebrows outer corners. This is the best way to remove bags under eyes. If you want the best highlighter to remove bags under eyes, go for Laura Mercier’s Secret Brightener.
Suggested Further Reading
- How to Remove Makeup – Why, How and Tips for Removing Makeup
- Smokey Eye Makeup Guide – Applying or How to Do Makeup for Smoky Eyes
- Best Makeup Remover – Natural, Oil Free, Sensitive, Homemade Makeup Removers